Long-distance relationships can be tough. You’re not able to see each other in person as often as you’d like, and it can be easy to feel disconnected.
However, long-distance relationships can be just as fulfilling as in-person relationships if you’re willing to put in the work.
In this guide, we’ll discuss how to keep the spark in a long-distance relationship. By following our series of steps and tips, your romance should stay alive even if you’re thousands of miles apart.
Let’s dive in!
Tip 1: Communicate on a Regular Basis
Communication is key to any relationship, but it’s especially important when you’re not living in the same city or country. Make sure you’re talking to each other regularly, whether it’s through text, video chat, or phone calls.
There are a few different ways for long-distance couples to communicate regularly. You could:
- Dedicate a certain time each day or week to talking to your partner.
- Send each other voice messages or text messages throughout the day.
- Keep a shared journal or document where you can write down your thoughts and feelings.
No matter the approach you take, find a way to communicate that works for both of you.
If you’re both too busy, you might not be able to talk for hours every day. But even a few minutes of conversation can help you feel more connected.
Tip 2: Do Fun Activities Together
When you’re miles apart from your special someone, it can be easy to get caught up in the day-to-day grind of regular phone or video calls. You need to shake things up a bit by doing fun things together as if you’re on a virtual date!
- Play online games: There are tons of great games you can play online together, from board games to video games.
- Watch movies or TV shows together: You can use a service like Netflix Party to watch shows at the same time, even if you’re not in the same room.
- Listen to music: Create a shared playlist of your favorite songs and listen to it simultaneously while you’re on the phone or video chat.
- Read books: Take turns reading the same book and discuss it with each other afterward.
- Cook or bake together: Find a recipe online and cook or bake it over a video call.
- Take a virtual tour together: Many virtual tours are available online, from museums to landmarks to historical sites.
- Plan a future trip together: This will help make the wait more bearable, giving you an event to look forward to!
Tip 3: Keep Your Romance Alive From Miles Away
Take some time to write a heartfelt letter or email to your partner, sharing your thoughts and feelings about them. Tell them what you love about them, what you appreciate about them, and how much you care about them.
Don’t forget to flirt! Even though you’re not physically together, you can still flirt with each other through your preferred communication channel.
Send each other flirty texts and compliments. This will keep things exciting in your relationship.
Tip 4: Always Stay Open with Each Other
When you’re not together, it can be a bit easier to hide things from your partner. But if you’re not honest with each other, it will eventually erode the trust in your relationship.
The first thing you should do is avoid secrets. If you have something to tell your partner, stick to the truth, even if you’re afraid of how they’ll react.
You should also try your best to be forgiving if your partner makes an honest mistake.
Finally, don’t be afraid to be vulnerable. Sharing your feelings with your partner can help you connect with them on a deeper level. Let them know what you’re thinking and feeling, even if it’s difficult to talk about.
Tip 5: Don’t Skip Milestone Celebrations
Milestones can be even more significant in a long-distance relationship. They’re a chance to celebrate your love and commitment to each other.
For instance, consider sending personalized gifts or tokens of appreciation, even if it’s something small. You could send flowers, a piece of jewelry, or a gift card to your other half’s favorite store.
Or, you may go for a framed photo of the two of you, a piece of jewelry with their initials on it, or a care package.
Also, remember that milestones are a good time to talk about your future together. Discuss your shared goals and how you see your relationship developing.
Tip 6: Give Consistent Support to Each Other
Of course, there will be times when you’re both feeling stressed, lonely, or frustrated. That’s why it’s crucial to be each other’s biggest cheerleaders during these times.
When your partner is going through a rough patch, be there for them. Listen to them, offer them your advice, and let them know that you’re there. If they don’t feel like talking, remind them that you’ll always be around until they’re ready to express their emotions.
If your partner needs some encouragement, remind them of their strengths and accomplishments.
Lastly, even when things are hard, do your best to stay positive. This will help keep your spirits up and make it easier for your partner to do the same.
Tip 7: Make Plans to Meet More Often
One of the best ways to keep the spark alive is to make plans to meet up as often as possible. This doesn’t mean you have to see each other every week, but you should always have a future date in mind to look forward to.
Of course, the distance between you and your partner may not be the same all the time. As a result, try to be flexible with your plans and willing to adjust them as needed.
In addition, you should practice patience. It may take some time to work out the logistics of meeting up, but it’ll be worth it in the end!
Tip 8: Encourage Each Other to Be Patient
When you’re feeling impatient, it’s easy to focus on the future and start counting down the days until you see your partner again. But this can make the time seem to pass even more slowly.
Instead, try to focus on the present moment and all the things you can do to enjoy your time apart.
Plus, the passage of time is less intimidating when you find ways to stay busy. This will help you stay distracted and prevent you from dwelling on the physical distance. Take up a new hobby, spend time with friends and family, or work on a personal project.
Tip 9: Trust Your Partner
No matter how much history you have together, doubts about your partner’s commitment to you can slip through the cracks in a matter of minutes. So, if you want your relationship to succeed, you need to be able to trust them.
- Be honest with your partner about your emotions, thoughts, and actions.
- Make sure you correctly communicate your needs and expectations in a healthy manner.
- Always treat your partner with respect. This means respecting privacy, boundaries, and decisions.
- If your partner does something that can potentially break your trust, talk about what happened and how you can avoid it in the future.
- Choose your words carefully and be mindful of how they might be received.
- Be consistent in your communication and your behavior. If you’re always saying one thing and doing another, your partner will eventually start to doubt your trustworthiness.
- Don’t expect your partner to trust you overnight because having faith in someone is fostered over months or even years.
Tip 10: Be Prepared to Compromise
Long-distance relationships require a lot of compromise.
You’ll need to be willing to give up some things in order to make the relationship work. This could mean compromising on your time, schedule, or needs. Consider the following guidelines to learn how to find a middle ground in your relationship:
- Talk to your partner about your priorities and what you’re ready to compromise on.
- Prepare to be flexible and adapt to change.
- Make peace with the fact that your partner may have different needs and expectations than you.
- Be understanding of their needs and willing to work with them to find a compromise that suits both of you.
To Wrap It All Up
If you’re in a long-distance relationship, remember that you’re not alone. There are millions of people in the world with the same challenge. But thankfully, with the help of technology, it’s easier than ever to stay connected with your partner.
You can keep the spark alive in your relationship by always staying in touch, doing fun things together, and celebrating different milestones. Another way to keep things exciting is to fuel your romance by sending meaningful messages or surprise gifts.
Hopefully, by following our tips, you can learn to communicate effectively, build trust, and compromise when you’re miles apart!